Has an electrician or repair man suggested that you upgrade your electric panel? This is an extremely common repair for older homes. The older your home is, the more important it is to have the electric panel (and possibly all of the wiring) replaced with newer technology. This is not only to improve the electrical performance in your home, but also for your personal safety!
If you’re in an old house, you may have noticed some electrical gremlins. For example, maybe you can’t run the washer and dryer at the same time without tripping a circuit breaker. Perhaps there’s a certain light in the house that always flickers. These may have started out as minor annoyances, but over time you probably got pretty sick of dealing with it. Here are some more common reasons why people want to upgrade the electric panels in their older homes:
- A home addition or renovation project will impact the wiring in some way. A new bedroom will require more lighting, wall plugs, and a ceiling fan. If you aren’t having air ducts installed, you may want to consider having a zoned HVAC system added to keep the space comfortable year-round. All of these things require more electricity from your existing system.
- The house needs more outlets and/or GFCI outlets installed, which will lead to a bigger power draw. Old houses tended to be equipped with only one or two wall outlets in each room. That’s simply not enough to meet modern needs.
- Existing circuit breakers trip frequently, causing partial power losses. If both of your kids can’t watch television separately and at the same time, you know how quickly it can lead to World War III.
- You are unable to run appliances at full power, or run multiple appliances at the same time. This can put a real damper on laundry day or family movie night, but you don’t have to put up with it!
- Flickering lights have become a real nuisance. Besides being totally annoying, they can induce headaches and cause trip-and-fall accidents.
- You require a 240v circuit for large electrical appliances such as a water heater, range, washer/dryer, or hot tub.
- Your homeowners insurance requires an electrical panel upgrade. There is no question that maintaining your insurance is important, so do what they say and get your system upgraded.
If you are sick and tired of dealing with the electrical oddities in your old home, call Arc Angel Electric. We can diagnose your problems and recommend a panel that’s the correct size for your family’s needs. It may seem like a tremendous job, but you might be surprised by how fast we can upgrade your panel. To upgrade the electric panel at your Atlanta-area home, click this link or call Arc Angel at 770.889.9243.