If you are curious about whether or not it’s time to rewire your house, you have come to the right place. The majority of rewires occur in older homes. If you compare a modern home to one built just a few decades ago, the difference in wiring materials and standards is shocking. If you live in a historic home, the difference is even more striking.
Electrical wiring can wear out over time, just like nearly everything else. If you are committed to staying in your older home, getting the house rewired will go a long way to ensure your comfort for years to come. There is a good chance you have already noticed some issues with your older home’s electrical system.
Here are the top 7 reasons why you need to rewire your house:
1. Your home is a few decades old. Or maybe it’s several decades old. The safety and technology behind modern wiring is shockingly better than it was just a few years ago. The older your home is, the more serious your risk of an electrical fire. The best way to avoid electrical fires is to rewire your house.
2. Your house still has a fuse box and not a circuit breaker box.
3. You can’t run the microwave and the blender at the same time without tripping a circuit breaker. Old homes were simply not equipped with enough power to run today’s appliances and electronics. If you would like to use your gadgets whenever and wherever you want, it’s time to rewire your house.
4. You have noticed electrical plugs feel hot to the touch; this is a sign your wiring needs to be checked right away.
5. There are less than two electrical outlets in most rooms of the house. This can be a great inconvenience and likely means you don’t have enough outlets for your modern-day needs. Older homes were built with few plugs because people just didn’t have a lot of stuff that needed to be plugged in.
6. Your lights frequently flicker or you find yourself constantly replacing light bulbs. Rewiring your house could fix the problem.
7. Outdated plugs pose a serious safety hazard. If the majority of your electrical outlets have only two-prong holes, and if the plugs in the bathroom and kitchen are not ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) plugs, it’s time to rewire your house.
Cell phones, microwaves, entertainment centers, computer equipment – these are things electrical engineers never thought about a few decades ago. Bringing your home’s electrical system up to snuff will ensure your devices and appliances will work when you want them to work. If you’ve decided it’s time to rewire your house, call Arc Angel at 770.889.9243.